Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Sticky Wicket



Port Renfrew series 2015
This is the Sticky Wicket warp!
Wicket
noun
1. a small door or gate....
2, an opening like a window....

I am renowned in the studio for putting on sticky warps - I can't help myself as I love mohair especially and fuzzy yarns in general, but I am not afraid of them and for the most part never have much trouble with them.  However, of late I was trying to use up some of the stash and they all happened to be the same colour - gray and fuzzy. So I made a warp for Ann to weave on the 12 harness (she has long arms and long legs) as we felt we needed some more ponchos. Lots of complaining went on beaming it as well as weaving it but we are both patient and zone out. Ann was busy so I finished the warp off and yes it was sticky....however I will cover a few tips that I have learned over the years. But first I think I may have had some 'other realm' assistance. I looked at my shuttle and Lilly Bolin's name was on it! And I wove happily with a few adjustments - so here I go with some suggestions....the `wicket` behaves when you use some of these tips.

Mohair goes a long way - you don't need a lot to make a statement. I am not a fan of the mohair blanket - warp and weft - I think it a waste of such a lovely fibre. Blending with wool makes it go farther as well.

Sticky warps are not just mohair of course - boucles can give you a problem or two as well.

Check the reed. In this case I was lazy, I sleyed a 10 dent reed to 8 epi because I couldn't find an 8 - that would have helped in the sticky department.

I have also used spray starch on my warp whilst it is still on the warping board - this helps a lot. Let it dry if you think it will rust your reed. Also make sure the room is warm - damp days make the fibre more sticky.

Beam with your harnesses open - I beam through the front, so I often open the tabby sheds to split the warp - I have no problems with tension if you are wondering about that - my warps go on smoothly and at a good tension.

Weave with a flat Swedish style shuttle - works a charm. Ann uses this ugly taped up rag shuttle that for some reason she loves - I changed shuttles right away and had better success. Also I advanced frequently so the fibres couldn't have a confab and embrace each other (my theory) and beat with the shed open.

On 4 harness looms a direct tie-up is recommended, then you can wiggle your stickies apart if need be. On a 12, it just isn't possible unless you have really big feet.

I leave you now as I am readying for a show.

Music of the day included:
Blaze Foley
Chet Faker
Amelia Curran
Bedouin Soundclash
Anika Moa
Feist

............days later - I have finished the last show and will blog a little about that next time - thought I should get this one out.

No comments:

Post a Comment